I don’t know about you, but every time I crave sugar one of two things happen:
- I give in and feel horrible (both physically and mentally)
- I resist eating it but, until I fall asleep that night, it is usually all I can think about.
Does that ever happen to you?
So what are the four KEYS to Defeating Temptation?
- REFOCUS your attention on something else. When you try to resist a temptation it only intensifies our focus on the wrong thing and strengthens the allure. Since temptation always begins with a thought, the quickest way to neutralize it, is to turn your attention to something else. I like to do a 1 min plank to divert my attention away from the leftover chocolate birthday cake that is calling my name. If I can get a different part of my body talking to me (like my core which is on fire by 1 min) it helps draw my thoughts away from the kitchen and more towards swimsuit season (which is right around the corner).
- REVEAL your struggle to a friend, a support group or your coach. Revealing your feelings is the beginning of healing. You need someone, a partner who will encourage you and hold you accountable. Willpower and personal resolutions are not enough. I have a Health Coach that I call on regularly when I need help. I also like to hop on a few different FB groups where we all struggle with the same thing and chat.
- RESIST. Sometimes the only way I can get past temptation is praying and meditating. I also like quoting a scripture. God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLT)
- REALIZE your vulnerability. Do not let your guard down and think you are beyond temptation. AVOID places, areas, situations of temptation. I like to keep my water bottle with me at ALL TIMES and it almost always has lemon, grapefruit or the metabolic blend oil in there to ward off cravings.
Remembering these 4 reasons to defeating temptation will help you on your health and wellness journey. When we can refocus, reveal, resist and realize what our greatest temptations are whether it is sugar (like me), alcohol, bread, dairy etc we are on the path to DEFEATING the things that tempt us most.
Your Purpose and Lifestyle Coach,